A coroner has warned against taking a party drug which led to the death of a Macclesfield man.
Simon Flack, 34, died on February 21 this year after taking a mixture of Paramethoxyamphetamine (PMA) – a so-called party drug also known as pink ecstasy – and amphetamines.
His body was discovered in a caravan he had been staying in on Batemill Close in Upton Priory, an inquest at Macclesfield Town Hall heard.
Recording a verdict of death by misadventure, assistant deputy coroner for Cheshire, Janet Napier, said Mr Flack, who worked as a builder, overdosed because he combined PMA with other drugs.
She said: “We need to get more information out to raise awareness and find out where this drug is coming from.
“This horrible new drug has taken the lives of lots of people – it’s very sad.
“It is such a tragedy. There was certainly no intent there.”
Three deaths in Macclesfield have been linked to the PMA drug this year.
Rachel Clayton, 34, and Emma Speed, 30, were both found dead at a house on Crompton Road on April 7 this year.
Toxicology results revealed evidence of PMA in their systems. Their inquests have not yet taken place.
The inquest heard that a toxicology report found traces of PMA, amphetamine and Levamisole in Mr Flack’s blood, with traces of cocaine in his urine suggesting historic use of the drug.
Mrs Napier said: “PMA is more toxic than MDMA due to its delayed onset.
“Users who mistakenly take PMA instead of MDMA are at risk of a drugs overdose. There are horrible effects. It takes longer so they feel like they have to take more.
“We’ve heard about the drugs that he had taken, a fair amount of PMA, and also the combination of other drugs, which is likely to have caused his death.”
Mr Flack’s former business partner, Mark Wilson, in a statement read out at the inquest, said he was aware that Mr Flack used recreational drugs and had money problems, and had allowed him to stay in his caravan temporarily.
His daughter, Danielle Wilson, who discovered the body, told the inquest: “I got a phone call from my dad while he was on holiday asking me to go and check on Simon.
“I knocked on the window and door and got no reply. I thought he was still sleeping.
“At 1.30pm I left to go to my boyfriend’s and he told me to check on Simon again.
“I was shouting him repeatedly. I took a step inside and that’s when I found him.”
Speaking at the inquest, Mr Flack’s mum, Susan Flack, of Shadewood Road, said they had been out of contact for more than six months.
A statement released afterwards on behalf of his family read: “Simon was a gentle, loving soul who was much loved by his family and so many friends.
“We are all truly devastated by his needless, early death and our lives are poorer for his passing.”
Detective Constable Alison Greenwood told the inquest there was no suspicious circumstances to the death.
Speaking afterwards, she said: “If anyone has any information about the use and supply of these types of drugs in the Macclesfield area then I would urge them to speak to a local officer or contact Cheshire Police directly on 101.”
If you would prefer to pass on the Information anonymously, this can be done via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.