How we use Cookies

Woman rescued from flat

A woman was dramatically rescued from a first-floor flat by her boyfriend after a fire tore through their apartment.

A woman was dramatically rescued from a first-floor flat by her boyfriend after a fire tore through their apartment.

A 23-year-old woman and a 37-year-old man were treated for smoke inhalation after the blaze at the apartment above Best One newsagents on Merriden Road near to the town centre, in the early hours on Sunday, February 21.

The man rescued the woman after dragging her from a smoke-filled room.

The pair initially fought the large flames and smoke after waking to discover the inferno.

They managed to escape but returned to retrieve belongings, when the woman was separated from her partner, who braved the flames to drag her from the smoke-filled flat.

Three fire engines were scrambled from White Watch at 12.07am.

Hose reel jets were used to dampen the flames and four breathing apparatus were also used to enter the property.

Mr Javied is part owner of Best One newsagent below the fire-damaged flat.

He discovered the fire when he arrived for work on Sunday morning, February 21, morning to find his electricity had been cut off.

He said: "The shutters wouldn’t open and the lady across the road told me there had been a fire and the fire department had turned the electricity off.

"There was no damage here but water did come in through the air vent. It came through the back door, but there was no financial loss."

He added: "It’s lucky nobody was hurt."

 

Journalists

Rhiannon McDowall
Education reporter
Mike Glendinning
Sport reporter
Chris Slater
News reporter
Stuart Greer
Crime reporter
Karen Britton
Wilmslow and Alderley Edge reporter
Ben Turner
News reporter
Vic Barlow
Columnist