With Christmas and New Year celebrations coming up and the recent cold snap, more and more people will be enjoying the warmth of a traditional log fire.
In light of this firefighters from Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service are asking residents in Macclesfield to take extra care when lighting up fires that have not been used for a while.
This advice comes after a number of chimney fires across Cheshire East.
The latest chimney fire took place at a house on Peter House Road, in Sutton, last night at 9.30pm.
It took one crew with one appliance from Macclesfield Fire Station to put out the fire.
A spokesman from Macclesfield Fire Station said: "It could very quickly have deteriorated into something more serious."
No one was injured in the blaze. Firefighters left the scene at around 10pm.
Homeowners are advised to get their chimney swept at least once a year to keep it clear or debris and soot.
Anyone who burns wood is advised to have their chimney cleaned twice a year to help prevent fires.
Last year in January alone the service attended 27 chimney fires. There were also 22 in February and 26 in March.