This website uses cookies. Using this website means you are okay with this but you can find out more and learn how to manage your cookie choices here.
News

Tributes to Macclesfield man killed after climbing onto a train

Tributes have been made to the former All Hallows Catholic College pupil Nathan Dewhurst after the tragic incident.

Nathan Dewhurst, from Macclesfield, died after being electrocuted on top of a train at Manchester Piccadilly(Image: Facebook)

The family of a 23-year-old Macclesfield man who died at a train station have said they are devastated by his death.

Tributes have been paid to former All Hallows pupil Nathan Dewhurst after he died at Manchester’s Piccadilly train station.

A spokesman for Manchester Coroner confirmed that Nathan died at the station at 11.10pm on Friday, December 1 and an inquest is due to be opened.

British Transport Police (BTP) said that a 23-year-old man died after climbing onto the roof of a train and being electrocuted when he came into contact with electrical lines.

Officers said they received reports of the incident around 10.50pm and attended with paramedics but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Nathan’s sister Natalie posted on her Facebook page: “My Mum, Dad, myself and our family are truly heartbroken over my brother’s tragic accident.” She added that the family had been left devastated by his death.

His old school, All Hallows Catholic College, has paid tribute to Nathan.

Tony Billings, principal, said: “It is with great sadness that we have received the news of the passing from this life of Nathan Dewhurst, one of our past students.

“We remember Nathan with great affection.

“We pray for Nathan, for his family and friends that they will feel the love of God and the support of the whole community at this sad time.”

Rachel Kay, principal and chief executive of Macclesfield College, said: “We are incredibly saddened by the news of Nathan Dewhurst’s passing this month. Nathan was a student with us back in 2011 studying Advanced Diploma in Business. Our thoughts and condolences are with his family and friends during this very difficult time.”

A spokesman for BTP said an investigation has been launched.

The spokesman said: “The incident is not been treated as suspicious and a full report will be provided to the coroner to determine the circumstances around his death.”

A spokesman for Manchester Coroner said an inquest is expected to be opened on January 8.

View full mobile page