How we use Cookies

Chimney fire caused by soot build-up

Macclesfield firefighters were called out to a chimney fire in Hurdsfield on Monday.

Macclesfield firefighters were called out to a chimney fire in Hurdsfield on Monday.

It is believed a build-up of soot caught alight after the owners of the Alton Road property lit their first coal fire of the season.

Red Watch manager Andy Humberstone, who successfully extinguished the blaze within an hour, said: "This is a useful reminder for people to get their chimneys swept.

"As it happens this couple had a chimney sweep booked for the 11th November."

He added: "At this time of year people begin lighting their fires again, but a build up of soot or resin can cause a chimney fire.

"Indications, depending on how intense it is, are smoke coming from the hearth or thick smoke coming out of the chimney, or you may get hot embers rising out of the top of the chimney, which of course is also a fire hazard."

One appliance was was called to the scene at 6.30pm on Monday (November 8).

 

Journalists

Rhiannon McDowall
Education reporter
Mike Glendinning
Sport reporter
Chris Slater
News reporter
Stuart Greer
Crime reporter
Karen Britton
Wilmslow and Alderley Edge reporter
Ben Turner
News reporter
Vic Barlow
Columnist