How we use Cookies

Busy weekend for Macclesfield firefighters

A father and daughter were locked on school grounds after walking their dog on the playing fields.

A father and daughter were locked on school grounds after walking their dog on the playing fields.

Firefighters had to release the trio from the schoolyard at Broken Cross School on Parkett Hayes Road, Macclesfield, on Saturday.

It is understood they had walked into the school grounds as an football match was taking place.

Organisers of the game accidentally locked them in after the match had finished at 1.30pm.

Firefighters cut open the padlock to let them out.

* Tumble dryer fire

Staff at a launderette were evacuated after a tumble dryer fire.

The blaze started at the business on Tytherington Drive at 2pm on Friday.

Two fire engines from Macclesfield attended.

Firefighters isolated the gas and electricity supplies and, wearing breathing apparatus, used one hose reel water jet to extinguish the fire.

A large fan was used to disperse the smoke. 

There were no injuries.

*Beware of chimney fires

Firefighters are urging residents planning chimney fires this winter to be careful.

The warning follows two blazes in Macclesfield at the weekend.

The first was at Maple Avenue at 2.45pm on Saturday, followed by another at a house on Bond Street at the same time on Sunday.

Cheshire Fire and Rescue service said chimneys should be cleaned after extended periods of non-use.

Those using smokeless fuels, gas and oil should receive attention at least once a year; bitumous coal, at least twice a year, and wood, quarterly when in use.

Fire crews are also advising homeowners with fires: put it out before bed or leaving the house; never use petrol or paraffin to light the fire; keep children and pets away; and never burn paper in an open fire.

Warning signs to look out for include: excessive smoke, embers falling back into the hearth, the walls of the chimney breast or adjacent walls becoming very out to touch or even flames showing from the pot.

For further chimney safety advice or to book a free Home Safety Assessment visit www.cheshirefire.gov.uk .

 
comments powered by Disqus

Journalists

Rhiannon McDowall
Education reporter
Mike Glendinning
Sport reporter
Chris Slater
News reporter
Stuart Greer
Crime reporter
Karen Britton
Wilmslow and Alderley Edge reporter
Ben Turner
News reporter
Vic Barlow
Columnist